- Because Life is Difficult. We are not very good at handling the ups and downs and often get stuck when the proverbial poo hits the fan. We get sick. People die. Marriages struggle. Love goes unrequited. Those are the bags we bring to work each day.
- Because our jobs suffer when we suffer. It’s that simple.
- Because stress, distress, depression, anxiety, trauma, substance abuse and sleeplessness all exist. These human emotions and responses do not discriminate based on salary or other demographics.
- Because we are not great at asking for help and ashamed to seek out counseling. Where do we begin? How do we know who is good? What will it be like? How much will it cost? All of these questions become barriers to getting help early on which can be a problem for management while seeking excellent productivity and attendance.
- Because it just makes good business sense. A well-integrated EAP into your workplace culture will, without a doubt, save a life or two along the way, prevent employee terminations/turn-over and help families’ turnaround conflict and suffering. Bonus for the boss: you get a healthy and productive employee that is grateful their employer cares enough to provide no-cost services to them.
P.S. Did I mention that the cost of EAP is a drop in a budget bucket? The annual fee is less than 1% of your annual health insurance expenditure. Consider that with point No. 5 and “case closed”.
P.P.S. if you are working with an EAP that is not well integrated into your workplace, you need to reconsider your strategy. If you have an EAP provided by your insurance provider, well….you need to call me so I can shine a light on all that you are missing!
Here’s to achieving REAL Employee Health in your company in 2015!